Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies vs. Black Bean Brownies

Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies
                                                                  Stick of Butter
2 cups of Flour
4 Eggs
1 1/2 cups of Sugar
Chopped Chocolate
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of Pumpkin Puree 
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
Vanilla Extract 
Baking Powder
~ Recipe ~
Preheat oven
Butter 9x9 baking pan
Melt chocolate and butter on stove
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in mixer
In separate bowl, whisk in eggs, sugar and vanilla
Continue until well combined and fluffy
Split each mixture in half
Add one flour to the egg and sugar mixture, repeat
Stir chocolate into one bowl, pumpkin into other
Layer your pan chocolate, pumpkin, chocolate, pumkpin
Bake for 40 minutes
Healthy Alterations: #fixthedish
  • Use whole wheat pastry flour
  • Use dark chocolate
    • Dark chocolate has less sugar than milk chocolate
  • Natural Pumpkin Puree
    • Watch out for added sugars in preservatives when buying pumpkin puree!
Black Bean Brownies
Can of black beans
Dark Chocolate Chips
3 tbs. Coconut Oil
3 Eggs
1/2 Unsweetened Cocoa
Vanilla Extract
2/3 Brown Sugar
Baking Powder
Dash of Salt
~ Recipe ~
Preheat overn to 350 Degrees
Rinse the can of beans 
Put beans, chocolate chips and oil in a food processor
Once blended, add eggs, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and baking powder
Process until smooth 
Place in 9x9 baking pan
Bake for 20-25 minutes
3 Good Choices:
  • Make your own brown sugar!
    • Brown sugar is simple to make, try it yourself! It is much more fresh and better than packaged brown sugar 
  • Coconut Oil
    • Coconut Oil is a healthier alteration to other types of oils you could use
  • Flour less Brownies
    • These brownies are gluten free! With a can of black beans, you get a lot of protein as well
With the upcoming fall, I know that lots of people are interested in fall themed recipes! I personally am not the biggest fan of pumpkin spiced anything, but the chocolate in the brownies really complements the pumpkin well. My mother actually has a gluten intolerance, and it is nice to make her brownies that she can enjoy without getting sick. I am aware that a lot of our viewers are also gluten free, and if you're interested we have a Gluten Free Pancake Recipe as well. And I actually like the taste of the gluten free pancakes better than my classic buttermilk recipe. Either way, there are times where it is okay to indulge in comfort foods, but I am trying to make the right choices at my grocery store so that my food is something that fuels my body instead of weighing me down! You are what you eat, people!


Please let us know in the comments or on social media if you try our dish! We will like and share! And vote which of the two you would prefer near the top right of our page!
#recipiespree #fixthedish



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the gluten free brownie recipe! I've been GF for 5 years and it's haaaaard cuz I love sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have a sweet tooth. I'm going to be honest that getting me to try the healthy alternatives is going to be a hard sell. Maybe a specific detail, like the difference in calories or something, would help be the motivation that I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like to give the chocolate pumpkin brownies a try--sounds interesting! I'm always looking for something new--I love to bake and love to try new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always looking for GF recipes to take to potlucks, and I am excited to see how the black beans in a brownie recipe turn out. Looking at your previous posts, it seems like I have a lot of new and healthy recipes to try!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete